I always thought growing up that by the age of 28 I'd be settled in. Working a job that I loved, raising a family, living in a house that I owned and just generally being on the road to being old. Funny thing, life didn't turn out like that. I'm on my second career, looking at some fun debt and living with my brother in an apartment with my lil brother in the town I grew up in/never thought I'd be back in.
And frankly, I wouldn't change a thing.
Sure there are regrets and more specifically things I would have done a bit differently, but all in all, these experiences have made me into what I am today. And I kinda like who I am.
For those that don't know, I'm seriously considering/placing myself on a track for law school. Yes, if you're keeping track at home that will be college, paralegal school and law school all within 6 years of graduating college. Why? Well, I guess because the reason anybody does anything...because they can :).
Life is about experiences. Sure, fiscal responsibility is important, but when you're laying on your deathbed what's going to cross your mind? Your IRA or your experiences? I've been given the opportunity and ability to jump around. Don't get me wrong, I have a love for the law and going to law school would not only open up the ability to be me on boss/make extra cash/get into politics (whoooole nother post, I hate the gladhanding that goes into politics and the complexity when it really should be so simple, but again...whoooole nother post) but one of the other reasons I want to go to law school is for the basic reason of because I can. How many people in life get this chance and even if I fail (it's entirely possible, I tend to fail quite a bit...I call it being human) I can still say I tried. Should be a heckuva ride.
This post isn't all about me though (granted, it's my blog so I'm gonna bring myself up every now and again, and because I'm awesome) it's about the rest of you that I know struggle with not being in a career, making 6 figures and being "settled in". Just with the single situation, instead of looking at what you don't have, take a look at what you do have. You have the ability to experiment and figure out who "you" are without having to worry about wife/kids. Do you think I'd even consider changing from a career that I enjoy and make a living off of if I had a family to take care of? Heeeeeeck no. That would be like picking a whole bouquet of oopsy daisies! :). Enjoy your freedom and be happy with what you have. Life's too short to whine and complain about what you don't have.
You keep hitting a chord with me, sir. Good luck with the LSAT whenever you decide to take it!
ReplyDeleteyou...said little brother twice. just sayin
ReplyDelete