This is a topic that I thought about awhile back and while I've talked to a few people about this, but I'd like to get a bit more feedback on if I'm making a simple concept too complex, or if I'm on to something I can can be called "El Philosopher" and be spoken about in the same vein as Aristotle and The Situation...
Why do we feel the need to name and give personalities to everything? I understand that certain names (people, cities) allow us to differentiate easily between people and places. However, we seem to name everything and more importantly, give everything human characteristics. For example, cars. We give all of our cars names (Larae is still my favorite, though she died in the end) when all it really is is manufactured pieces of metal put together in order to allow us to go from point A to point B much quicker than walking. Why do we feel the need to name the car?
Example number 2, animals and more importantly, the personalities that we give them through movies. When I mention a rabbit, what do you think of? Instead of viewing the animal that provides warmth giving fur and life giving meat, you think of Thumper, a friend to deer and an all around adorable spazoid. I firmly believe that while the Disney movies are very cute and entertaining, they have created the rise to environmentalists and animal lovers and have given them a foothold due to our automatic picturing of Thumper when someone mentions eating rabbit. Come on, how many times have people said that they don't like hunting because they think it's "cruel to kill Bambi"? This is due to our conditioning from a young age that deer have personalities and when we kill a deer, it's like killing a human being.
So my hypothesis. Humans have a necessity to control everything around them. This lends itself both to the dangerous and the safe. While it allows us to deal with our fears (fear is nothing but the unknown, isn't it always scarier when you don't know what's after you or when they're going to strike than when you know how and when they're going to strike?) it also cripples us. We view certain assets as having human emotions and human personalities when science shows us, they don't. There's no discussion there. It's important to keep things in perspective when dealing with real life situations.
Whelp, am I crazy?
No comments:
Post a Comment