Friday, May 18, 2012

Singleness and the Common Man

Happy Friday!!

This coming Memorial Day weekend I have the distinct honor and pleasure to be joining five married couples (and one other single person...for a day) on a trip to Lake Cumberland, KY.  Now I've known all of these folks for 10 years (yes, we are THAT old) so it's not a big deal but it's very interesting how people view singleness, marriage and what your relationship status says about you. 

The college I graduated from and the church in general seems to preach that there is something wrong with you if you aren't with someone.  They spell out life as grow up, go to college, meet your mate, get married right after college, find a job, start popping out babies and your life will be fulfilling through your family.  And you know what, they're right...for some people.  Families are an incredible thing (we all come from a mommy and a daddy, add you and you have a family, that's your "duh" fact for the day) but I'm slowly discovering it's not the end all be all.  I'm not saying I don't love my family because you know I do.  What I'm saying is that family is only a part of life.  Just like sex is only part of a relationship.  It is not meant to define your entire life.

Churches enjoy teaching the Creation story where God points out that it isn't good for man to be alone.  It teaches Song of Solomon and gives relationship advice like it's going out of style.  But I can count on one finger the number of times I've heard about that the Apostle Paul was single for his entire life.  He even extolled his readers (I don't remember where and research just ain't happenin on a Friday night) to stay single if they can so that they can be free to do God's work (not Terrelle Pryor's God's work, actual God's work).

I guess what I'm trying to say is single friends...be happy in your singleness.  There's nothing wrong with you.  There's no reason to lose confidence because your friends are getting married and you aren't.  Enjoy your freedom and use it wisely.  I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes get sad and lonely and wonder why it's just lil ol me...it's only human.  But then I remember, my calling isn't lesser or wrong, it's just different and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

(My writing needs work, that's why I'm doing this...shaddup)   

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite pleased by this latest. I've been saying some version of this for years to varying effect. Thanks for being more eloquent than me in its expression!

    ReplyDelete